Love or Arranged – What’s your Digital Strategy?
A marriage is a long term relationship and a long-term commitment between two individuals. One typically steps into it if they truly love that person and want to spend the rest of the life with that person.
You must be wondering what on earth digital marketing and marriage have got to do with each other and how they are related?
In many ways, digital marketing is also a long-term commitment between two parties – client and the medium of digital marketing.
Let’s first understand the differences between the love marriage and arranged marriage.
A love marriage typically consists of the following steps:
- Meet the person – Love does not blossom without meeting somebody.
- Talk to the person – This is more about knowing the person and understanding them better.
- Fall in Love – Once you have understood all that there is to and you find compatibility, you either fall in love or part ways.
- Propose – After you have come to a conclusion that you are in love with that individual you need to tell them. This is where you propose to them and make it known that you are truly, madly and deeply in love with them.
- Wait for acceptance – Sometimes the waiting time maybe a lot shorter while at times it can take a long time.
- Validation from friends – Once the person has accepted your proposal, out of the blue 4 friends will pop up and they will share their views and thoughts on you. Only after you are validated by them, the relationship starts to move.
- Relationship maintenance – This is the most crucial part for any couple in love. During this time one gets to know the partner in-depth – their likes, dislikes, their feelings, emotions etc.
- Meeting the parents – Once everything else is sorted, the crucial step is getting the parents approval. In many cases, a lot of lovers have dropped their future plans after not getting the approval from the respective parents. Obviously we are going to assume the parents have given the go-ahead.
- Marriage – Finally, when all else is done and dusted, the love converts into marriage.
So, it takes an average of 9 steps for a love marriage to work out properly. There could be some scenarios where the number of steps can be shorter or maybe longer.
If you look at the steps for arranged marriage it is quite simple.
- We share our likes/dislikes and the preferences with the parents / friends / well-wishers.
- We then sit back and relax while they do the bulk of the work for us.
- Finding a girl
- Deciding if it suits our needs
- Doing all necessary due diligence.
- Once a suitable match is found, they arrange for a meeting.
- All one needs to do is show up, discuss and then if everything looks fine, agree on the marriage.
You must be wondering how this has got anything to do with digital marketing.
The love marriage scenario is when you decide to do digital marketing by yourself. You understand the need to do digital marketing and are willing to spend the time and effort needed to succeed at it.
An arranged marriage scenario is one where you do not want to spend the time but know the importance and need for it, so you outsource it an experienced agency who has your best interest in mind and is willing to help you succeed in the digital space.
There is no right or wrong way.
Both the approaches have their own merits and de-merits. What matters the most is that any chosen approach ultimately leads to the end goal that is already decided – in terms of marriage: getting the right groom or bride, in terms of digital marketing: achieving brand awareness, leads, sales, visibility, web traffic etc.